Applies to: Nerdio Manager for MSP (NMM)
A Desktop Image serves as the "golden image" for Host Pool(s). You must install latest Windows updates, application updates or install new apps on the image first and then update the hosts in host pools. In some rare situations you may end up needing to revert the changes applied to Desktop Image. There are a few options to manage the Lifecyle of Desktop Images:
- Available in v2.2+ - When powering off the Image VM through Nerdio, you can select "Save current image as a backup" This will create a copy of the current image and retain it for a specified duration:This will provide the option to "restore" the image and revert any changes.
- Use Azure Backup to enable the backup of the VM that the image is associated with. Run the backup nightly. If the image needs to be reverted, then restore the VM from backup and click Power off and Set as Image in Nerdio Manager to use the older version.
- Add a new image from Azure VM. Power off the first desktop image VM, go to its OS disk and click on Disk Export, use the SAS URL to create a new image. This is effectively a clone of the first one.
- Clone the Desktop Image before you make changes to image.
- Available in v3.4+ - Use desktop image staging feature to test newly created versions of desktop images before being used by AVD host pools. Once the new version is thoroughly tested, you can mark it as active and start using it.