Here you will find revision details for Nerdio Manager for MSP (NMM). We strongly recommend that you follow this page if you are a Nerdio partner using NMM.
If you want to see some of our latest features in action, please watch the recording of our latest Product Feature Updates Webinar here. Please sign-up for upcoming webinars here.
Upcoming version: v3.13.0
Currently in development with a projected date of April 18, 2023.
Partial list of anticipated features is below:
- Global Windows Update Ring management. Feature and Quality update ring management from the MSP level, similar to the existing policy and profile management.
- Configuration drift for Intune policies: The ability to validate for configuration drift between the current state of Intune policy settings on the customer account level and the source policy on the MSP level.
- Bulk actions on customer account Intune policies and profiles. Similar experience to the bulk actions available for policies on the MSP level.
- Global app management for Intune. Cross tenant management for Intune apps.
- Improved control over session host images. The ability to store images on Premium SSD to optimize deployment speed for new session hosts. More control over image retention and recovery.
- FSlogix version control. Select the desired FSlogix agent version per host pool.
Current version: v3.12.0 (March 22, 2022)
- Improved Intune policy management for customer accounts: The navigation experience and policy management features on the customer account level have been updated. The Intune policy pages now have a similar experience compared to the recently updated MSP level pages. Besides the navigation update, the pages now include additional tagging, filtering and sorting capabilities.
- Bulk actions on global Intune policies and profiles. Multi-select is now available from the policy overview and bulk actions have been added to assign or re-publish the selected policies to customer accounts.
- Bulk Import Intune policies. Instead of importing policies one by one, they can now be imported in bulk from the MSP tenant.
- Support for Additional Intune Policy Types: In order to deploy Mobile Application Managed devices, App Protection Policies for iOS and Android are now a supported policy type at both the MSP and customer account level.
- Management of the Built-in Device Compliancy Policy. For standardization, create or import global Built-in Device Compliancy Policies from the MSP level and assign to multiple customer accounts.
- Global Views for Backup: Global View now provide the ability to include backup items across customer accounts.
- Scheduled Scripted Actions for Servers: It's now possible to schedule Scripted Actions on servers managed by NMM. This enables automated maintenance.
- Newly introduced Scripted Actions. A Scripted Action to reboot the assigned server has been added to the repository to allow for scheduled reboots. Additionally, a Scripted Action to enable Multi Media Redirection on session hosts has been added.
- New Account Wizard Optimizations for Intune: During the Add Account wizard, you can now choose to connect to Intune-only environments without the need for an Azure subscription, VNET, subnet or other Azure resources. In this scenario, the customer account level will only show features relevant to Intune managed devices.
- Improvements to Global Search: Servers have been added to the search scope. The segment for customer accounts can now be resized to better accommodate larger volumes of accounts. The filters will now be remembered for the next search.
- Health Status API. A new API endpoint has been added that returns the health status for the NMM App Service, WebJobs and Database.
- Update RDP UI. Similar to the experience in Nerdio Manager for Enterprise, RDP settings now have an improved UI with sort and filter features.
- Minor Tweaks and Enhancements:
- When deploying AVD across Availability Zones, NMM will now skip deployment if the selected VM size not available for the specific zone.
- A new API endpoint has been added to retrieve the list of assigned user to a host pool.
- A fix has been applied to the API response for the execution of Scripted Actions, which could fail because an Azure Subscription was not found.
- In Cost Estimator, pricing for Azure Backup has been updated to reflect the default Azure Files parameters.
- Also in Cost Estimator, the logic for Windows Server CSP Subscriptions in relation to AHB has been updated.
- Fixed an issue where the Host Pool overview would show a blank page.
- Fixed an issue where there was an error during loading the list of servers.
- Several minor UI tweaks and fixes have been applied.
V3.11.1 (March 1, 2023)
This is the GA release for 3.11. It includes all items in v3.11.0 and the following items:
- Global Intune Policy Management and Unified Endpoint Management are now available in Public Preview.
- Global Search is now available in Public Preview.
- Added and adjusted descriptions for several canned Intune policies.
- Added the use of Azure Capacity Extender for temporary VMs needed for Azure Files management actions.
- Fixed an bug where storage incorrectly reported 0GB storage usage.
- Resolved an issue where Cost Manager didn't allow the use of decimal values in custom core configurations.
- Global Views encountered errors when loading host pool assignments, this has been fixed.
- For Global Images with Trusted Launch enabled, Trusted Launch couldn't be enabled on the customer level. This has been resolved.
- Fixed an issue with the publishing of RemoteApps when the Norwegian language pack was being used on a session host.
- Several smaller UI updates and fixes.
V3.11.0 (February 22, 2023)
- Azure Capacity Extender (ACE): This feature has recently been launched for Nerdio Manager for Enterprise and is now available for Nerdio Manager for MSP as well. With ACE, you can choose a selection of fallback VM types. This resolves capacity issues when deploying VMs. Learn more.
- Improved Global Intune Policy Management. There is now a separate page to manage Configuration Profiles, Compliance Policies, Security Baselines and Conditional Access policies from the MSP level in NMM. From here, apply the profiles and policies to customer accounts, clone them and use the advanced editor to make desired changes. It also provides the ability to import policies and profiles created on the Intune Portal for full flexibility. Learn more.
- Canned Intune Policies: NMM now includes a set of ready to use Intune profiles and policies you can assign to you customer accounts. They will assists you by speeding up new deployments and maintaining consistency over the customer accounts you're managing. Learn more.
- Intune App Properties: Managed applications now have a popup where all application related information will be consolidated. In addition to earlier introduced features, there's now also the ability to keep track of the users and devices the application is assigned to. Learn more.
- Intune User Properties: Similar to the App properties popup, there now is a popup that consolidates all user related information. Additionally, it also includes the ability to keep track of the devices that have been assigned to this user, including the policies and applications that are related to the devices they have been using. Learn more.
- Intune Device Properties: The device properties pop-up will now show more details on Windows Updates for the selected device. Additionally, there's an updated experience for tabs that cover configuration profiles, compliance policies, scripted actions and applications which provides improved troubleshooting capabilities. Learn more.
- Scripted Actions for physical endpoints: Windows Scripted Actions can now be assigned to groups of physical devices. They can be run per device or as part of a bulk action on multiple devices.
- Windows Updates: From the customer level, NMM will now report on the Windows Update status for Intune managed devices. It covers both Quality and Feature updates for recent Windows OS versions. To be able to use this feature, please enable Windows Update for Business Reports to collect the data. Learn more.
- Cost Estimator: Now includes the cost estimation for users with physical endpoints only and the optional Remote Help add-on.
- Intune: Starting April 1st, NMM will start charging for users with only physical devices managed by Intune. For users that have been assigned AVD or Cloud PC, there will be no additional charges. Until April 1st, we invite you to experience the Intune features for free as part of our preview.
- Minor Tweaks and Enhancements:
- An issue has been fixed where deploying Session Hosts using ephemeral disks would fail if the source desktop image is using a disk larger than the default 128GB.
- More consistent use of Microsoft Intune instead of Microsoft Endpoint Management.
- Reports the amount of Intune-only users on the Account Overview page.
- Several minor fixes, UI updates and API improvements.
V3.10.1 (January 25, 2023)
This is the GA release for 3.10. It includes all items in v3.10.0 and the following items:
- Fixed an issue in the API where the user sessions and storage account endpoints were returning a ZWSP character. Please update your code accordingly if you're using these API endpoints.
- Newly added Azure Files shares will now have an updated set of permissions. The Authenticated Users security group will now have limited permissions. No changes made to existing shares.
- Resolved a bug where previously scheduled Scripted Actions were not visible.
- Resolved an issue where it was not possible to select an ephemeral disk when attempting to deploy a session host from an Azure Compute Gallery image.
- Several minor UI fixes for tooltips, hyperlinks and styling.
V3.10.0 (January 16, 2023)
- Trusted launch for VMs: It's now possible to enable Trusted Launch for images and session hosts. With Trusted Launch enabled, you can also enable Secure Boot and vTPM. Learn more.
- Intune device details: New capabilities have been added to the device properties popup for Intune managed devices. In addition to what was released in 3.9 it now also shows hardware/OS specifications, applied policies, applications, BitLocker keys and more. To be able to access the BitLocker keys from NMM a new consent experience has been introduced to acquire additional permissions. Learn more.
- Intune items in Global Views: In addition to AVD session hosts and host pools, you'll be able to create Global Views containing Intune resources. This way you can easily create custom views that cover additional objects across all your customer accounts. Learn more.
- Global Intune Policies: We've added multiple improvements for this. You can now assign your global policies to all your customer accounts instead of selecting them all manually. And additional error logging and validations will be available for troubleshooting.
- Global Search: We're releasing this as a private preview. Please contact Nerdio Support if you like to participate in the preview of this feature. With Global Search you'll be able to quickly find the resource you need across customer accounts.
- Being able to re-image a host pool without removing an active schedule.
- When creating a new Azure AD DS install, it now defaults to AES 256 encryption as recommended by Microsoft documentation.
- There now is a report that breaks down NMM license costs per host pool. This feature is in private preview and will be publicly available in a future release.
- Minor tweaks and fixes
- Display a message clarifying disk size options on the Add Host pop-up similar to the messaging on the Add Server pop-up.
- There was an issue in the event when a Scripted Action would take longer than 30 minutes to complete. This issue has been resolved, the timeout for Scripted Actions is now equal to Azure Runbooks (180 minutes).
- The customer account name was added when selecting workspaces for a Global View to make it easier to select the correct workspaces.
- You no longer get an Internal Server error message when attempting to delete a desktop image that is still applied to a host pool.
- Boundaries for selecting a custom OS disk size will now be displayed.
- Additional tooltips have been added for Endpoint Analytics score and Global Views.
- The refresh button on the Intune Devices page was not working, this has been fixed.
v3.9.2 (December 30, 2022)
Includes all items in v3.9.0, v3.9.1 and the following:
- Resolved an issue where the Azure API would give unexpected responses for selected N-series VMs. The issue would occur when NMM refreshed its local internal cache for VM and disk sizes.
v3.9.1 (December 23, 2022)
All items in v3.9.0 and the following items:
- Resolved an issue with auto-scale. Auto-scale would error out if there was a running or pending "Run custom script on VM (session host)" task during scale-in.
- Minor UI tweaks to Global Views, such as correcting the name of a section's title.
- Resolved a UI issue with Add Conditions pop-up for Notifications. The pop-up would flash and become unstable if there were over 50 tasks in the list.
v3.9.0 (December 16, 2022)
- Global RDP settings: Create RDP settings at MSP level and publish down to accounts. Drive consistency and manage RDP settings across accounts easily from the MSP level.
- Global Views: create custom views of host pools, session hosts, and user sessions that can span multiple accounts. Configure the ideal page view with all searching and filtering capability and save the configuration to your own profile or for all Nerdio Manager admins. See this KB for more information.
- Global Intune policies: Continue building out the feature.
- Republish Global Intune policies
- Apply workflows to management of Global Intune Policies
- Won't allow assigning policy to an account that doesn't have Intune enabled
- New search options
- Updated tooltips.
- Intune device details pop-up: Similar to the AVD Host Pool properties pop-up, a new properties pop-up for endpoint devices. Will greatly facilitate understanding groups, polices, updates, etc. applied to a device, and improve troubleshooting issues with devices.
- On the Add Account screen, added a new option for Desktop Deployment Model. You can now create an account for Endpoint management using Intune. You can choose to create account only for endpoint management or in combination with Azure Virtual Desktop & Windows 365. You can enable other desktop deployment models later after the account has been setup.
- Set new host in drain mode: When adding a new session host manually, on the pop-up you can now set the host in drain mode so that it doesn't accept user sessions right away.
- Schedule on/off images: On a scheduled basis, turn on a desktop image to let Windows Updates & app updates run, apply scripted actions to the image VM (not the temp VM created during the image sealing process), and then power off. Generally used in conjunction with a scheduled Set As Image task.
- The option Join to AD will be off by default when creating a Global Image or Desktop Image.
- A warning message will be displayed when creating a Global Image or Desktop Image from Windows 11 22H2 and Join to AD to selected.
- A total of 10 new APIs, across Users sessions, Usage & Storage. See entire list in this txt file.
- REST API: Add support for "Start on Connect Enable" and "Set all hosts to running OS disk type" through API.
- Scripted Action for Threatlocker: Scripted actions to install and uninstall Threatlocker on AVD host pools.
- Minor tweaks and fixes
Update FSLogix to version 2.9.8361.52326, which includes the ability to compact user containers during sign-out.
- Added field character limits to RDP properties.
- Resolved an issue with the public version of Cost Estimator where a cached version could show a JSON error.
- The Add Group page would show an Internal Server Error in some circumstances.
- Allow switching the default directory to Azure AD DS or AD DS from Azure AD
- A blank page would show when navigating to Settings > Credentials at the MSP level.
When a scripted action fails with an exception, a generic error was shown. The content of the exception is now displayed in the task logs.
An error would occur when enabling backups for VMs in an account with a mix of standard and enhanced policies.
- Adjusted the width of Edit task category of Workflows to handle a large number of categories.
- Display the whitelabeled logo on the results page of Cost Estimator when Whitelabeling has been enabled.
- Search by Attached Public IP addresses on Delete NAT Gateway modal pop-up was not working
- On the Auto-scale configuration screen, the + button to add another pre-stage schedule was hard to see.
- Changed a label from Desktop Experience to Desktop/App Experience on host pool popup.
- On the Cost Estimator, user could not enter right number of cores for SQL Server licenses in some circumstances.
- On the Cost Estimator results page, the margin percentage numbers were not shown.
- For Intune > Device actions, even after you deleted a recurring schedule, the pop-up would show a schedule.
- Replaced the word WVD with AVD in the tooltip of a user role.
- On the Add Account screen, provided a link to create a new custom domain in Azure portal.
v3.8.1 (November 23, 2022)
GA release of v3.8. Includes all items in v3.8.0 and the following items:
- If Conditional access policy is configured for All users, loading of policy list on the Intune > Policies screen failed.
- Auto-scale history page would not show any results. History is displayed now.
- An error would occur in certain circumstances when protecting Azure Files shares with the new Enhanced Policy's hourly backup option.
- An error would occur when changing the disk size of a custom sized disk.
v3.8.0 (November 17, 2022)
- Global Intune policies: NMM allows partners to manage policies and configuration settings at the (customer) account level. You can now view global policies at the MSP level and publish down to accounts. This feature is in Private preview while we test this feature with a select group of partners and complete building out the entire feature.
- VM performance: view CPU and RAM usage over past 30 minutes of session hosts and servers. Receive email notifications when performance falls below a threshold you set.
- Pre-stage OS disk: To reduce costs, you can set the stopped OS disk type of session hosts as the slower & cheaper HDD disks. When Start VM on Connect is enabled for a host pool, pre-stage the OS disks to the running disk type so that when a session host is started, it will have the higher performance (standard SSD or premium SSD) disk.
- Support for GPT disks for Gen2 VM's OS and data disks, up to 4095GiB for OS disks and larger for data disks.
- "Add domain controller" button will now be available for accounts with Azure AD DS and Azure AD profiles, but not AD profiles.
- Scripted Action for Sentinel One: A scripted action to uninstall application on AVD host pools.
- Cost Estimator updates
- Changed text for the option to price hosting costs of NMM. Many partners were including that one-time cost for every customer.
- Changed text for Additional storage from option Hot to Standard (Hot).
- Changed text in description of Step 5 to show the currently selected region instead South Central US.
- Use the whitelabel app name instead of Nerdio on the Results page.
- Display MS Defender pricing in pie-chart on Results page.
- Pricing for Nerdio users was hardcoded. The pricing will now be pulled from Nerdio's licensing system.
- When generating an RDP file, if app is behind a proxy such as CloudFlare, the RDP file generated would not support connecting to the resource.
- Workflow for Intune: actions on the Policy and Devices screens can now be "workflowed", requiring approval before the tasks are run.
- Additions or changes to Global FSLogix profiles can be put through an Approvals Workflow.
- A total of 34 new APIs, across Resource Group, Workspace, Secure Variables and Scripted actions. See entire list in this txt file.
- On the Settings screen, when linking Resource Groups and vNETs, you can now select multiple RGs and vNETs to link at the same time, instead of having to do it one at a time previously.
- Report previously released in private preview is now GA: A new report that will list unused Azure resources, such as VMs that are running a long time, unattached disks, NICs, etc.
- Functionality previously released in private preview is now GA: Tag Reserved Instances to AVD host pools and servers. NMM will provide visual cues, reports and alerts about Reservation status of host pools and servers. Be reminded to renew reservations on time; be alerted when reservations are out-of-sync with VM instances.
- Minor tweaks and fixes
- For Scripted Actions, a function called Write-Log was renamed to Write-WAPLog to avoid naming conflicts.
- The property Azure AD authentication is now available on the All RDP Settings screen for host pools.
- Notifications would not be sent in certain conditions when a step in a task failed.
- Could not edit Intune policy name if description had never been changed.
- Hourly backup option is now available for Azure Files Shares. This in turn has resolved errors users reported with the Estimated vs. Deployed report and enabling backup on the Settings page.
- Corrected an auto-scale validation error message to more clearly explain why the validation failed.
- Renamed a field in the PUT- Autoscale configuration API endpoint, from wvdStatuses to avdStatuses.
- Added option to filter by MSP-level tasks on the Logs screen at MSP level.
- Technical upkeep: Upgraded code base to .NET v6.
- Resolved a minor bug with config migration for user-driven hosts.
- On the Logs screen at the MSP level, added a new option to filter and view MSP level tasks only.
v3.7.1 (October 25, 2022)
GA release of v3.7. Includes all items in v3.7.0 and the following items:
- On the AVD > Host Pools screen, Monthly Savings and Costs were incorrect. This issue has been fixed for existing host pools retroactively as well and new host pools that will be created going forward.
- Auto-heal process would fail unjoining VM from AD when it couldn't power on VM. The unjoin step is now skipped when VM can't be powered on.
- Ability to schedule new report that will list unused Azure resources, such as VMs that are running a long time, unattached disks, NICs, etc. Private preview only. Changed text in two places on the pop-up to run report to match text on the report itself.
- Resolved issues with the Estimated vs. Deployed report - an error occurred when statistics had not been collected yet by system about a host pool; region was incorrect when comparing size of servers.
- VM costs are now displayed only when making a selection of VM size. On the Servers screen, if AHB is Off, Windows costs are displayed for servers and domain controllers.
- Resolved an issue with using Global Images in NMM accounts.
- The disk type in the Cost Estimator's csv export was incorrect. Resolved an issue where users couldn't change the number of Microsoft 365/Office 365/Windows 10 & Defender licenses in certain circumstances.
- An error would occur while saving Auto-scale configuration for host pools when switching from User driven to Scheduled based or Off to Schedule based. This issue was addressed in UI and API.
- Corrected an error message in API response for the /autoscale-configuration API.
- Deleting an account would fail if Secure variables had been created in that account.
v3.7.0 (October 17, 2022)
- Combine auto-scale triggers: Scale-out and scale-in based on multiple threshold criteria. For example, if CPU usage or RAM usage pass certain thresholds, scale-out; and scale-in when CPU usage and RAM usage falls below a certain threshold.
- Exclude from auto-scale: You can now set a session host to be excluded from auto-scale. This is especially useful if you want to put a session host in drain mode and perform maintenance on that host. To exclude from auto-scale, locate the session host for a host pool, click the action menu and click the button Exclude from auto-scale.
- Create a Global FSLogix Profile at the MSP level and assign to customer accounts as appropriate. This allows you to set and control the FSLogix profile globally across customer accounts.
- Many more tasks available for Approval Workflow, specifically for these areas: Groups, Scripted Actions, Settings / Linked Resources Groups
- Cost Estimator
- Significant improvements to the Cost Estimator's UI to make it more usable with a mobile device
- Pay-as-you-go pricing for SQL Server
- Price out Microsoft Defender
- Use the Azure Retail API for Reservation (RI) pricing
- Changed display format of VM size and disk size, to match the changes made in previous release in other areas of the application.
- Improved screen load time by moving the loading of pricing information to a background thread.
- The export file would not include the right number of disks in certain scenarios.
- Margin fields will be grayed out if user enters a 100% discount.
- Clarified the text for Margin on the Results page. It was not clear that the Total included the Margin.
- Updated the public Cost Estimator's icon library (FontAwesome) to version 6.1.1.
- A new API to execute a Scripted Action
- A new API to retrieve a list of Directory entries on the Settings > Credentials screen. The data retrieved with this API can be used in the /execution API.
- Scripted Action for Ninja RMM: A scripted action to install and uninstall RMM application on AVD host pools.
- Scripted Action for Sentinel One: A scripted action to install application on AVD host pools.
- A new report that will list unused Azure resources, such as VMs that are running a long time, unattached disks, NICs, etc. Private preview only.
- Minor changes and fixes
- Resolved an issue with Auto-heal for host pools where Start on Connect was enabled; auto-heal would kick-in too early in some situations.
- Resolved an issue with email notifications for Reservations. Email notifications were not going out correctly when Reservations were about to expire or their status went out-of-sync.
- Completed private preview of Reservations feature. The feature is not generally available in all installs.
- Win11 22H2 is now available as an option for global images, desktop images and create host pool & session host.
- Various tweaks to the Request RI and AHB feature based on user feedback.
- The system would report an error when using Global Images to create Host Pools in certain scenarios.
- A new AppService setting that holds the storage account location for FSLogix binaries.
- Resolved an issue with Reservations feature where the match wasn't distributed across multiple session hosts or servers.
- Update NMM to grant Desktop Virtualization Power On Contributor role to WVD instead of the custom role-based approach Microsoft had recommended originally.
- Renamed section on the Settings > Azure screen from Azure settings tasks to Azure Environment tasks.
- Corrected the sorting functionality of the User Sessions screen.
- If the OS disk doesn't match running type when starting a VM, convert disk type and start the VM.
- Azure Files Shares backup can now occur on an hourly basis. Such policies will be filtered out from NMM; we will add support in a future release.
v3.6.1 (September 30, 2022)
GA version of the September release. Includes all items in v3.6.0 and the following:
- An Internal server error would occur when creating Azure Files share in NMM with Azure AD DS.
- An Internal server error would occur on Servers list page in some situations.
- Image selection would not work when adding a host pool, if image was located in multiple regions.
- An Account Id is null error would occur in certain conditions when adding a new account.
- Pricing of compute resources would not be correct on Add Server pop-up in certain conditions.
v3.6.0 (September 16, 2022)
Public preview version of the September release.
- Show previously used host names for a host pool. Depending on your auto-scale settings, the system may reuse the host names.
- Backups - hourly option: Backups can now be set to run hourly, in addition to daily, weekly and monthly. Nerdio Manager will create all new policies as Enhanced Policy to support the hourly backup option. Existing policies will not support the hourly option. You must create a new policy in order to use the hourly option.
- Changed how we display VM size and disk options describing a VM. Retail pricing information will be displayed when you are selecting a VM or Disk.
- Approvals workflow
- Many more tasks available in the workflow, specifically for these areas: Global images, Desktop images, Network
- Submitter will receive an email notification when a task they submitted is approved
- Auto-scale Pre-stage: Get a notification if pre-stage isn't completed as expected
- SQL Server 2019: When adding a new server, you can now choose SQL Server 2019 on Windows Server 2019 for Server OS
- Cost Estimator updates
- New default selection of user-to-CPU core ratio of 2:1
- Support for Azure Files standard tier
- Enter a margin to markup cost estimates
- Reworded minimum & maximum hours per week use of desktops
- On selecting Yes for In-region backup, the user will now see additional options immediately without clicking on more...
- Remember previous VM size selection when adding additional Servers
- Set default Region and Currency from Manage Estimates screen
- Pin quotes. Quotes can be pinned to the top of the list. Pinned quotes are visible to everyone, even if the selection is "Show mine only".
- Use newer Azure retail pricing API instead of Partner Center API
- Allow user to select more than one data disk for Servers
- LAW entry would default to 5 GB by default. If you specify more than 20 users, then the entry will be changed to 10 GB by default, unless you have changed the entry yourself
- Clarified language in intro paragraph and Step 1
- Corrected VM info on results page
- Display Nerdio costs breakdown in tooltip in the Costs section at the very top of the screen
- Addressed a minor error that could occur with the publicly accessible version of Cost Estimator
- On the Results screen, added links to Microsoft doc about canceling or exchanging Reservations
- The total number of virtual desktop users would not update in certain circumstances when entering GPU users
- Display Reservation information and penalties prices in API response
- Minor changes and enhancements
- Update FSLogix version to FSLogix 2201 hotfix 2 (2.9.8228.50276)
- Remember the last VM size selected when adding a new session host and default to that VM size when adding another session host
- Invite other users to your install of NMM for longer timeframes now - 60, 90 and 180 days
- Corrected tooltips for SAs on Autoscale server screen
- Changed tooltip for Cloud PC user info
- Improved logging of Approval Workflow
- Tasks can no longer be changed for built-in categories of Approval workflow
- Resize button could be inadvertently hidden on the Desktop Images screen in some cases
- Corrected tooltip for item 8. App Name on Whitelabel screen
- An error would occur on reloading Servers page, and immediately opening Manage IP modal
- Code tuneup: Refactored code for email notifications at account level
- Guidance provided for reservations about B-series VM on Add Reservations screen (private preview only) was incorrect
- Moved an info icon for tooltip to the right spot on Auto-scale for servers modal pop-up
v3.5.2 (September 9, 2022)
Includes all items in v3.5.0, v3.5.1 and the following:
- UNC path was not displayed in FSLogix pop-up on Host Pools > Properties and Settings > Integration screens.
- Pricing costs from Azure API for app service plans were updated
- For server auto-scale, the VM size setting for During work time would change in UI after auto-scale.
- Host pools could be created with an empty workspace if creating many (10+) at the same time.
v3.5.1 (August 31, 2022)
Includes all items in v3.5.0 and the following:
- New Scripted Action - Uninstall ConnectWise agent.
- Corrected a property to ensure the right driver version is installed for NV12ads_A10_v5 VMs.
- Addressed a SQL timeout that could occur when deleting an account.
- Resolved issues with REST API for Create Host Pool, Start Host and GET Host Power State.
- On the FSLogix Profiles Storage Configuration pop-up, FSLogix Profiles path selection will be cleared out when user checks/unchecks the checkbox "Azure Page blob".
- Refactored FSLogix profile search logic when archiving a user.
- Resolved an issue where system would automatically create new boot diagnostics storage accounts after reimaging VMs in certain situations.
- Removed an extra blank line that would show in banner announcements.
v3.5.0 (August 18, 2022)
- Archive user: Instead of permanently deleting a user, archive the user. Archiving can include disabling the user login, logging off user from host pool(s), removing host pool assignment(s), stopping session hosts, removing the user from AAD group(s), retaining or deleting FSLogix user profile containers, retaining Microsoft 365 licenses for a certain period or recovering the license immediately. You can select which actions are performed during the archive process.
- Backup Global Images: A new action menu button on the Global Images screen to backup the image, using Azure Backup. The system will implicitly create a Recovery vault and policy behind the scenes for the backup.
- Tracking Reservations: Tag Reserved Instances to AVD host pools and servers. NMM will provide visual cues, reports and alerts about Reservation status of host pools and servers. Be reminded to renew reservations on time; be alerted when reservations are out-of-sync with VM instances. This feature will be in private preview. Contact Nerdio support to join the private preview program.
- Generate request for RIs and AHB: Quickly gain access to a detailed list of Reservations and Azure Hybrid Benefits you can apply to an account. The list will be provided in an email friendly format - you can copy the list and send to your distributor or Azure provider.
- VPN settings: Display settings for VPN connection.
- Auto-scale history report: A print-friendly PDF version of the auto-scale history screen. The PDF can be shared with customers as evidence of auto-scale cost savings.
- RemoteApps Friendly name: Azure has changed the default behavior of friendly names for RemoteApps. Rather than automatically specifying the friendly name, it is now assuming the name based on the app selected. NMM was not providing any values in the Friendly Name field (it will copy the application name if saved without a friendly name). See KB for more info.
- Scripted Action for ConnectWise: A scripted action to install and uninstall RMM application on AVD host pools.
- Scripted Action for Kaseya VSA: A scripted action to install and uninstall RMM application on AVD host pools.
- Scripted Action for Huntress: A scripted action to install Huntress application on AVD host pools.
- Approvals Workflow: Follow-up to major feature released in last version. Various minor UI tweaks. Many more tasks available for Approvals workflow.
- FSLogix: Flipflop SID & username in user profiles for new accounts going forward. The value of the property FlipFlopProfileDirectoryName will be set to 1. When set to 1, the SID folder is created as %username%%sid% instead of the default %sid%%username%, making it easier to search for user profiles.
- Server Auto-Scale - Disks: On server auto-scale pop-up, in addition to VM size, the disk(s) can now be scaled up or down. The disk(s) can be downsized to standard HDD when server is powered off, and resized back to original disk type when server is powered back on.
- Minor enhancements and fixes
- Azure File shares would not be listed on Link File Share pop-up if Azure API incorrectly reported "more..." list of items.
- Was unable to remove Group assignment for a User from Users > Groups Assignment pop-up.
- On the Logs screen, no longer displaying tasks in search filter dropdown that don't apply at account level.
- SA repository synchronization was failing at account level.
- While generating the Estimated vs Deployed report, it was unclear who had created an estimate that was being selected for the report.
- Clarified tooltip for Set as image task for Desktop images.
- Add line separators to Servers action menu to make the menu more readable.
- After assigning a user to a RemoteApp host pool from Users page, an error would occur during login attempt. This was because the role Virtual Machine User Login was not assigned when user was assigned a RemoteApp from Users page.
v3.4.1 (July 26, 2022)
Includes all items in v3.4.0, and addresses two issues -
- Windows 11 Enterprise multi-session + Microsoft 365 Apps - Gen 2 image was pointing to a deprecated version.
- Estimated vs Deployed report would not show the disk sizes correctly for data disks.
v3.4.0 (July 15, 2022)
- Approvals workflow: Require approval of certain tasks before they are run. Set certain users as Submitters and others as Approvers. When a Submitter runs a task, the task will not run immediately. Approvers will receive an in-app notification & email notification. The task will be run only after an Approver approves the task. This initial version of approval workflow focuses on cost impacting tasks such as Add a server or Resize a VM. More tasks will be available in Approvals workflow in upcoming releases.
- Win32 apps management: The Intune Apps management now supports adding, editing and deleting Win32 apps. Functionality is similar to other types of apps that could be managed in the past.
- Forward mailbox: Allow forwarding an email account of one user to another user. A notification email will be sent to the user whose email is being forwarded. Mail can be forwarded only for users and to users that have a Microsoft 365 license. This is a new button in the action menu on Users screen.
- New metadata regions: Added support for two new AVD metadata regions - Australia East and Japan East. See Microsoft doc.
- Scale-in delay options: More options to the scale-in delay dropdown in the Pre-stage step of auto-scale configuration. Allow scale-in after 2.5 hours, 3 hours, 3.5 hours and 4 hours.
- Download an RDP file for Global Images. This is a new button in the action menu on Global Images screen.
- Allow staging of Desktop Images, similar to how Nerdio Manger currently allows staging of Global Images.
- Added a note to NMM Invoices indicating that Nerdio will charge the Azure Subscription for usage.
- Updated the Font Awesome icon library to its latest version. Some icons will look a little different.
- Minor enhancements and fixes
- An icon will be displayed next to an Account's name if there is a note for that Account, on the Accounts screen.
- Removed the choice for All when assigning accounts to the Account Admin role on the Users and Roles > Role assignments screen.
- Updated tooltip text on Groups screen to reflect recent Intune functionality.
- Corrected the text to be displayed in breadcrumb on Settings page in some situations.
- Estimated vs. Deployed report is no longer tagged as Beta.
- Monthly or annual information of Office 365 and Microsoft 365 licenses on Cost Estimator's results page was updated to reflect the choices better.
- When assigning a Group to a RemoteApp, Cloud PCs or Intune devices, Nerdio will highlight that the desktop is being assigned to many users.
- An internal notification will be sent to our team when an MSP partner adds a new account to their NMM install.
- Resolved an issue where assigning any groups to App in the MEM portal and then updating the App in NMM would remove those group assignments.
- Fixed typos on Built-in roles filter where MSP was mis-spelled as Msp.
- Adjusted order of action menu buttons on the Global Images screen.
- Global images & Scripted actions Account assignments code maintenance and refactoring.
- Cost Estimator licensing functionality code maintenance and refactoring.
- Automatic tasks feature on Logs screen code maintenance and refactoring.
- Product analytics in our licensing system to report on feature usage by installs.
v3.3.3 (July 14, 2022)
Includes all items in previous versions of v3.3.x, and addressed an issue with a new SKU in Azure US East region.
v3.3.2 (July 6, 2022)
Includes all items in v3.3.1 & v3.3.0, and resolved an issue where user driven auto-scale wouldn’t allow Burst beyond base capacity to be set to 0.
v3.3.1 (June 20, 2022)
Includes all items in v3.3.0 and these items:
The Last schedule date for Users report in the Job details pop-up was incorrect.
- Emailing the Users report for 5,000+ users would fail.
- Could not assign a Group to AVD Host Pool from the Groups screen.
- Change Log entries during the Set as Image task were not being saved to the database.
- Minor edit of the auto-scale trigger tooltip on Manage Autoscale screen.
v3.3.0 (June 14, 2022)
- User-driven autoscale. Select between a schedule-based (current) and user-driven auto-scaling mode for Personal host pools and Pooled host pools. See section User-driven in this KB.
- Switch OS disk of powered off Global Images and Desktop Images to standard HDD. This is a cost saving feature. When powered ON, Nerdio will automatically switch the OS disk to original disk type, typically a standard SSD. As a result, you will not notice any performance degradation when image is powered ON yet get the cost savings when image is powered OFF. Note that this feature works best only when you start/stop an image using NMM portal. If you start an image or change disk type in Azure portal directly, it can lead to the disk type being a standard HDD even when image is powered ON.
- Schedule email report. You can now schedule the Users' reports to run and email the report on a regular basis.
- Account Notes. Add notes for an account from the Accounts screen.
- FSLogix version: Install the latest version - FSLogix 2201 hotfix 1 (2.9.8171.14983). See this Microsoft doc for the two items addressed in the FSLogix hotfix release.
- Intune features and enhancements
- Allow users to set the "Show this as a featured app in Company portal" setting while adding a new app or editing an existing app.
- Support for Conditional Access policies
- Resolved an issue where the assignment of an existing App to All users and All devices groups would not stick.
- Cost estimator enhancements
- We allowed using VM size only when both Linux and Windows costs were available via Partner Center API. We now separate that - allow using VM size for servers when AHU is Off and Windows cost is available; allow using VM size when AHU is On and only Linux cost is available.
- Users could not set Data disk option for Servers to None, until the Server was removed from the list.
- AHB option will be enabled only when at least one server is added to the estimate.
- Discount field for Reserved Instances will be grayed out if RI is not selected for any VMs.
- Minor enhancements and fixes
- NMM would incorrectly show IUL notification for users that did not have access to IUL account.
- Start on connect did not work in a specific situation when autoscale would deactivate prior to scale-in (as expected) but the session host would not activate again until there's a scale-out/pre-stage.
- Added a single start/stop after a re-image by default. If a stopped host is re-imaged, it would not register a VirtualMachineID until it is powered on, thus Start On Connect would not function until the VM is started at least once.
- Users were not able to save the value for 'Spare Desktops' 'During working hours'. The value would reset to 0 when save the auto-scale config.
- Allow user to search for RDP property on Custom RDP properties screen.
- Added tooltips to the Network > VPN and Network > NSG screens.
- The task to request logs was incorrectly shown on Host Pools screen. The task is now displayed on the Session Hosts screen.
- Corrected tooltip for the checkbox Set image as inactive for Global Images' Set as image action.
- Resolved an issue where an error Object reference not set to an instance of an object would come up during the cleanup process of a failed delete of a desktop image.
- When assigning a Group to a AVD desktop, Nerdio now highlights that the desktop is being assigned to many users.
- Users would often leave Autoscale OFF when saving changes to the autoscale config page. Nerdio Manager will now display the Autoscale On/Off status near the Save button.
- Completed Static Analysis security testing and Dynamic Analysis security testing as part of the regular security testing of Nerdio Manager.
- Product analytics. Licensing system now provides internal reporting to us of features used in a NMM install.
v3.2.3 (June 3, 2022)
Includes all items in v3.2.0, v3.2.1, and v3.2.2. Resolved two issues - Scripted Action could run twice in certain situations. Could not make changes to an existing Estimate in the Cost Estimator.
v3.2.2 (May 20, 2022)
- Billing notification - provide your email address to receive notifications when a new NMM invoice is generated.
- On the Link Azure Files share pop-up and Create new Azure Files share pop-up, allow user to select storage accounts from linked subscription, linked resource group, location of linked network, where the File Service property indicates Azure Files is supported.
- Added pricing for NCas_T4_v3 series VMs to the Cost Estimator.
- Minor enhancements and fixes of the NFA to NMM migration feature.
v3.2.1 (May 12, 2022)
All items in v3.2.0 below and these three items: Addressed an issue where an empty redirections xml was being created when it wasn't necessary; changed wording of AADJ related message when creating a new account; resolved issue with Groups page not being displayed.
v3.2.0 (May 5, 2022)
v3.1.1 (April 21, 2022)
GA release of v3.1. Includes all items in v3.1.0 and the following items:
- FSLogix 2201 release is now generally available for all customers. Install latest version of FSLogix by default on session hosts. Note: Applies to all installs of NMM v2.4 and up.
- Disallow changing passwords of AD Synced users. Use AD or Azure AD portal to change passwords for such users.
- Addressed an issue with Users report. The report would fail to run for accounts that didn't have a Cloud PC license in the account's tenant.
- Addressed an issue where the gpupdate command caused the AVD install extension to hang indefinitely for some environments.
- Install AVD Agent v1.0.4009.1500 by default on session hosts. Once installed, the AVD agent automatically updates itself to latest available version. This item is included in NMM v3.1.1, however it was added to release notes on June 3rd.
v3.1.0 (released April 5, 2022)
v3.0.3 (March 29, 2022)
v2.5.1 (January 21, 2022)
v2.4.1 (December 13, 2021)
v2.3.1 (November 11, 2021)
v2.3.1 is the GA release of v2.3. See below for all items released in v2.3.
- Support for Azure AD Join for Window Server 2019 servers.
- When creating a new account using Azure AD Join, users will now be required to check a box and acknowledge the warning message displayed.
- Tweaked the text displayed in warning for Azure AD Join VMs. Removed add a custom RDP property text from the warning.
- Log Analytics Workspace follow-ups
- Users can now click a link to navigate to the workspace in Azure portal from Settings tile
- Changed text on tile in Settings from space usage to data ingested.
- Clarified tooltip on Settings tile to indicate the data ingested reported is from beginning of month.
- NIC was not being removed when a session host is removed by auto-scale and when server is deleted from NMM.
- When running Azure Runbooks within an account, NMM was using the App ID of the MSP's app registration instead of the account's app registration.
- For Azure AD DS environments, provisioning an Nvidia GPU VM (such as NV6) was failing on the Join to AD step.
- Resolved a UI issue with the VM size and disk size selection drop-down where those drop-downs would not scroll correctly.
v2.3.0 (Released: October 29, 2021)
- Allow users to select Azure AD for directory while creating a new account. This allows you to create Host pools that are Azure AD Joined (AADJ). FSLogix support is not available at this time since Azure Files cannot be Azure AD Joined (public preview is expected soon). All Host pools created in account that uses Azure AD for directory will have local profiles. KB coming soon.
- For global images, users can check a box to backup image when they "Set image" or "Power off & set as image". Adding same functionality for Desktop images.
- Global images staging - modify and update production images and test them without affecting current production host pools that use these images. When updating an image, select for the new version to be created in "staged" mode. Designated test host pools can start using and testing this image right away, but production host pools will only begin using it when it is activated after testing and validation. See KB for more details.
- New column on the Desktop Images page that displays the currently assigned Host pool for each image. This allows user to understand at a glance which Host pools are using the desktop image. Note that this feature is available for Desktop Images only, it will not be available Global Images.
- Forcefully logoff users on Reimage host and Resize host. This is a change behind the scenes and something you won't see in the UI. The system will automatically logoff users using the /force flag when reimaging or resizing session hosts.
- Windows 365 Cloud PC - end grace period manually before scheduled timeframe. When you un-assign the Cloud PC license and remove user from Cloud PC group, Windows 365 keeps the Cloud PC around for a grace period of seven days. You can now force the grace period to end right away. This helps in scenarios where you don't want the resources to stick around for 7 days.
- Support Gen 2 VMs for Windows 365 images. Windows 365 images must now be Gen2. Updated to latest the list of Microsoft provided images when creating provisioning policy.
- Manage Intune line-of-business applications. In addition to managing Store Apps, you can now manage LoB apps in Intune. Similar functionality as add/edit/delete store apps. You will manage LoB apps by uploading a .msi package. Support for .msix packages will be in the next release. KB is coming soon.
- Log Analytics Workspace storage changes. Nerdio Manager uses a workspace in every customer account for storing App Insights & AVD diagnostics. Azure allows 5 GB of data ingestion for free per month, and 90 days of retention without charges. We are taking steps to spotlight usage and reduce costs from the workspace.
- Disable public API payload logging and ASP.NET telemetry to Azure App Insights for all existing and new installs, and all existing and new accounts.
- Show users current usage, on the Azure Monitor Insights tile of the Settings > Integrations screen. See screenshot below:
- Allow users to adjust data retention period
- Show a warning message when data ingestion exceeds 4.5 GB for the month
- Mailing address - Once Nerdio partners update their install to NMM v2.3, they will notice a red asterisk show up next to Settings > Environment menu option. Partners can now provide their mailing address to Nerdio. The mailing address that partners enter in their install will be transmitted to Nerdio's licensing servers. The mailing address is particularly required for qualified partners to receive communications and goodies from Nerdio.
- Ability to manage Availability zones
- Allow users to choose availability zone for Public IP Addresses.
- Show information about availability zones on Public IP and NAT Gateway pages.
- Allow users to associate Public IP Addresses with Virtual Machines according to their availability zones.
- Prompt partners to update to the latest version of Nerdio Manager. An icon will now show up next to the Updates menu option. If your install is at least one major or minor update behind you will see a yellow exclamation icon. If your install is more then two major or minor updates behind you will see red exclamation icon.
- Cost estimator updates
- Allow user to change the default OS disk size for session hosts.
- Allow user to change the OS disk size when session host is stopped.
- Show savings resulting from a cheaper stopped OS disk.
- Display projected costs savings. By using Nerdio's auto-scaling, MSPs can save customers a lot of money. For example, if a host pool was running 24x7 (168 hours per week) the costs would be much higher than allowing auto-scale to max the host pool say 40 hours per week.
- Fixed an issue where when the rounding is turned on the total sum is not equal to sum of components.
- CPU cores were incorrect for CPU constrained VMs on the public Cost Estimator. Was not an issue for Cost Estimator in MSP installs.
- New REST API end-point to retrieve saved estimates.
- Security enhancements
- Added Secure and http-only flags to session cookies
- Removed Expires tag on persistent cookies to change them to session cookies
- Changed the cache-control directives for the web application, to disallow user to view page by clicking Back button after logout
- Added the SameSite attribute for all cookies
- Added Secure and http-only flags to session cookies
- New REST API end-points for Desktop Images
- Get list
- Set as image
- Add from Azure, Add from VM
- Start, Stop
- Change log
- Run script
- Minor enhancements and bug fixes
Estimated monthly costs are now displayed on the Autoscale configuration pages.
- Description of Host pool was spanning outside Add host pop up modal.
- Session hosts tasks section title was incorrect.
- Couldn't generate RDP file for servers with Availability zones.
- Fixed breadcrumb for Custom RDP settings.
- Fixed incorrect navigation for Back button on hosts page.
- Resolved issue with username format while provisioning a new account.
- Pre-stage should not be required when Start VM on Connect property is checked for a host pool.
- A FQDN was not an acceptable format when specifying username in NetBIOS format on Add Account screen.
- Resolved issue with AAD domain joined host pools, where users assigned to Host pool from Users menu (by choosing the Desktops button) are assigned to the Host pool app group, but cannot log in.
- Make it easier to search for images while creating a provisioning policy
- Improved security of storage account being used by NMM when converting an MSIX to an App Attach image
v2.2.0 (September 29, 2021)
- Start VM on connect functionality for pooled and personal host pools. See KB for more info.
Don't allow ephemeral OS disks for global images.
- Ability to resize a Windows 365 Cloud PC desktop. See KB for more details.
- Display tasks related to all Reports' activities in a new Tasks section on Reports page.
- Cost estimator updates
- Hide Cloud PC in step 3 (Licensing options) as it was confusing users.
- Allow fractional values in Users to CPU core ratio.
- Allow pricing for no hosts in pool since system now supports start VM on connect.
- Adjust Nerdio costs for Cloud PC only users.
- Fixed issue when backups is enabled and a server is include in cost estimate
- Support FSLogix Cloud Cache with a check box on any configuration profile and specify up to 4 paths to replicate VHD profiles to. See KB for more details.
- Consolidated all host pool properties pop-ups (e.g. Active Directory, FSLogix, WVD, VM deployment, etc.) into a single pop-up that is easier to navigate and make changes to properties across screens.
- Ability to have multiple pre-stage schedules (step 3 of auto-scale AVD host pools).
- New option to "Automatically re-image used hosts" during an auto-scale event.
- REST API - more end-points around host pools, host and now desktop images management.
- Display VM server logs in NMM task details pop-up, eliminating the need to remote in to server and download logs for tracking down root cause of failed tasks. See KB for more details.
- AD join logs (Host tasks, Image tasks)
- Remove users from temp VM (Image tasks)
- Sysprep logs (Image tasks)
- Download logs for session host VM. Select from a list of 12 different logs you want to fetch from the VM. Selected logs will be combined in a ZIP file and be downloadable under the Details of the "Upload VM logs to storage container" task. See KB for more details.
- Multi-select actions for session hosts.
- For global images, users can check a box to backup image when they "Set image" or "Power off & set as image". Same functionality now available for Desktop images.
- Support for Windows Server 2022. You can now select Windows Server 2022 for the following actions -
- Add new server
- Add new desktop image
- Add new global image
- Add new Host pool
- Add new host in Host pool
- Sort tables by columns throughout the portal. Sort hosts by name or date provisioned, host pools by friendly name or type, or logs by user or resource name, etc.
- Minor enhancements and bug fixes
- Cost savings were missing from Host Pools list page
- Home page kept auto-refreshing for some user roles
- Hide NMM "system" Azure Files shares on Add File Share pop-up
- On "Add Server" pop up modal, display Availability Zones in ascending order
After whitelabeling the App name, the browser tab should display the app name
- Fixed incorrect breadcrumb for Intune > Apps
- Whitelabel settings are now applied to Reports
- Background service to sync session host VM OS disk type with selected stopped OS disk type, (for stopped VMs) and running OS disk type for hosts that are powered on
- Certain variables were not passed properly to Azure Runbooks if the runbook is executed directly or scheduled
- Error on Azure Files page if storage account or Azure File share is removed from Azure portal directly
- Various tweaks to ensure the right user roles have access to the right screens
If the box Append a suffix is not checked, the system should allow the hostname to have few extra characters
v2.1.0 (August 31, 2021)
- Support for public preview of Azure AD-join
- NAT Gateway Management
- New user role MSP IT Admin. Access to customer accounts for user management, optionally limited to select accounts.
- Auto-scale for Azure Files shares
- Pre-stage schedules for host pool auto-scaling
- Run scripted actions to auto-heal during auto-scale
- Integration with Intune for Windows 365 Cloud PC
- REST API
- Get list of accounts
- Host pool operations
- Session host operations
- Option to redeploy VM when restarting the VM (servers, session hosts, desktop images and global images)
- Updates to Notifications feature
- Various tweaks and improvements to Scripted Actions Azure Runbooks and Github integration
- Updated the list of gallery images displayed when creating a provisioning policy
- Create a default network connection when provisioning a new account with Windows 365 as desktop deployment model
- Azure runbooks will be enabled by default for all new accounts going forward
- Report of unused AVD and Windows 365 licenses
- New Windows 11 images for AVD host pools and Windows 365 Cloud PC desktops.
- Minor enhancements and bug fixes
- Handle missing linked resource groups and networks gracefully
- Sort drop-downs for Resource groups, Regions and Linked networks in alphabetical order
- Updates to Cloud PC tooltips, labels and similar tweaks
- Fixed the datetime stamp displayed on network connections status check pop-up
- Re-upload a desktop image to MEM when it is enabled for Cloud PC and it no longer exists in MEM
- Changed default workspace name from WVD to AVD
v2.0.3 (August 17, 2021)
Power on and power off tasks for VMs, including desktop images, will now time out after 30 minutes instead of 90 minutes.
v2.0.2 (August 13, 2021)
- Changed the VM OS for Azure Files AD join to Windows Server 2019 during new account provisioning.
- New options for host name suffix of single host in a personal desktop.
- Addressed issue where cloning desktop image would fail on second clone attempt.
- Optimized account deletion database calls.
- Addressed issue where MSP Help Desk and Account Help Desk users were unable to log in to admin portal.
v2.0.1 (August 5, 2021)
- Scripted Actions
- Azure runbooks: in addition to running Powershell scripts inside of Windows OS, Azure scripts add the ability to run Powershell scripts directly in Azure outside of a particular VM. This is accomplished with Azure Automation Runbooks and can leverage both AzureRM and Az Powershell modules. Several example scripts are included.
- Integration with Github: synchronize scripted actions with Public and/or Private GitHub repositories. Use your favorite tools, like Visual Studio Code, to edit and maintain scripted actions with all of the power of GitHub workflows, versioning, and so much more. Scripted actions are automatically synchronized with GitHub repositories and any changes take effect immediately without any configuration changes made in Nerdio Manager. All pre-built Nerdio scripted actions are migrated to public GitHub repository.
- Notifications and alerts
- Define rules to generate email alerts based on various conditions and actions.
- Select whom to notify based on tasks, statuses, resources, etc.
- Windows 365
- Cost estimator shows the licenses & pricing that are now publicly available
- User license assignment pop-up has been updated to reflect friendly names for Windows 365 licenses
- General improvements
- Schedule tasks for global images similar to scheduling of tasks for desktop images
- Correctly handle re-imaging of hosts that were created outside of NMM
- Associating a Public IP with a powered-on server is now processed as an asynchronous task since it takes a minute or longer
- Show MSIX App Attach tasks in Tasks section
- Refresh screen after upload certificate for MSIX App Attach
- Hide IUL notice when there are no accounts
- Updated the end date of Microsoft promotion
- UI improvements such breadcrumbs and disable button before all selections are made
- Placement of tooltips has been corrected on several screens
- Handle Intune licenses about to expire and flagged as "warning" by Microsoft
- Public IPs associated with NAT Gateway would show as unassociated
v2.0.0 (July 15, 2021)
- Windows 365 Cloud PC: New desktop deployment model available from Microsoft as announced at Microsoft Inspire 2021. Deploy and manage cloud PCs in addition to AVD desktops.
- Whitelabel NMM portal: MSPs can now apply their brand colors and logo to personalize NMM
- Azure Files shares management: a new module for full management of Azure Files shares, including the ability to create new shares, manage existing shares, manage file handles, etc.
- Minor bug fixes and enhancements such as refresh screen and default selections (v2.0.1)
- Public IPs management: a new module for full management of Public IPs, including the ability to create new Public IPs, manage existing, and associate to resources.
- MSIX AppAttach management: Upload and publish App Attach VHD(X) packages directly from Nerdio Manager. Leverage Azure Files with AD integration for App package storage, assign users and groups to individual apps, and assign apps to host pools. Users assigned to apps who log into these host pools receive the app automatically.
- Add new sessions hosts in a host pool in bulk
- Improved security posture by adjusting storage account security settings
- Minor enhancements and bug fixes
- Link vNet's created using NMM portal to account by default
- Apply FSLogix properties to existing host
- Several minor UI enhancements such as placement of tooltips, breadcrumbs, button names, etc.
- Display a warning message if temp VM is left on when Power off and set as image task has errors
- Replace references to Windows Virtual Desktop or WVD with Azure Virtual Desktop or AVD respectively
- Apply session limits to to existing hosts
- User report enhancements
- Filter out and gracefully handle missing RGs and Networks
- Handle daylight savings correctly in Server auto-scale
v1.4.0 (June 28, 2021)
- Host Pools:
- Ability to clone a host pool [video]
- Custom tags
- Don't allow user to delete Host Pool when a Add host task is in progress
- Log which settings are changed
- Don't allow user to initiate tasks on sessions hosts that are in the process of being removed
- Handle various scenarios when Host Pool is created with default workspace
- Desktop Images:
- Maintain a change log
- Allow user to schedule Set as image tasks
- Allow user to check a box and add availability zone when creating a new server
- Provide daily usage info in Distributor API
- Minor enhancements and bug fixes
- Remove extra comma in Desktop field of Users report export
- Desktop or RemoteApp assigned via Groups were not being counted on Users report
- Add link to download RDP client on Login pop-up on Users screen
- Fix button length on Global Images screen
- Clarify log messages for certain tasks
- Wrap text for long names
- Tooltips for main menu items
- Tooltip for active user on Users screen
- Warn MSP partner when they haven't flagged any account as Internal Use
Resolved issues around scheduling tasks and linking to Resource Groups. Changed all references to Windows Virtual Desktop & AVD to Azure Virtual Desktop & AVD respectively.
v1.3.0 (June 04, 2021)
- NSG: manage Network Security Groups
- Cost Estimator:
- Unified code between public version and the version in NMM Installs
- Limit number of users that can be entered in various fields
- Removed a misleading underline that looked like a hyperlink
- Show VPN type on results page
- Allow pricing in third-party products
- Volume pricing for Nerdio Manager for MSP
- Users report: export and print report
- Scripted Actions
- Run Windows scripts from Host pool>Properties>VM deployment>START/STOP
- Run Windows scripts for Global Images
- Limit which user roles can access Scripted Actions
- Fix breadcrumb, tooltip and other similar small tweaks
- Secure variables at MSP level
- API for Distributors
- Log API calls to Mothership
- /checkhealth: new API call
- /register: activate suspended installs
- A new billing module for partners to view their monthly charges from Nerdio
- Additional options on VM deployment pop-up
- Deallocated powered off VM
- Allow non-admins to shadow user sessions
- Minor enhancements and bug fixes
- Invalid older restore points were displayed when restoring from Backup
Disk OS size displayed was off by 1 GB for certain AVD Host Pools
- Show desktop assignment on Users screen when assignment is via a Group
v1.2.1 (May 13, 2021)
Addressed issues related to scheduling of Scripted actions, reimage tasks and validation check for editing a VPN connection.
v1.2.0 (May 7, 2021)
- Scripted Actions: ability to run Windows Scripts when running other tasks such as re-image host or adding host to host pool. Specifically, you can setup Windows Scripts from these areas of NMM:
- Host pool>Hosts>Run script
- Host pool>Properties>VM deployment>CREATE/REMOVE
- Session hosts>hostname>Run script
- Desktop image>Run script
- Desktop image>Set as image
- VPN: manage VPN gateways
- Cost Estimator
- Public version: ability to estimate costs of AVD environments without needing to install NMM first
- Distributors Mothership portal enhancements
- Home page summary of installs and users
- View invoices from Nerdio
- API for Distributors
- Retrieve usage data
- Cancel NMM purchase
- Suspend NMM Install
- Re-activate NMM Install
- Users report: generate a list of end-users in customer NMM account, along with desktop assignments if any
- Storage cost optimization: Change OS disk type when VM is stopped to save on costs
- Minor enhancements and bug fixes
- A repeating error would show in certain circumstances on Backups screen
- AVD Insights monitoring agent was not installed on re-image
- Allow deleting Global Image created without Image object
- Removed an incorrect "$" symbol from name of desktop image on certain confirm popup windows
- No longer allow global images to be assigned to accounts if an image object is not created
- Clarified the naming convention requirements on Add Server pop-up
- Several follow-up tweaks to Backups
v1.1.0 (April 13, 2021)
- Backups: various tweaks and enhancements for an improved user experience. [KB].
- VNet: various tweaks and enhancements for an improved user experience.
- Cost Estimator:
- Reserved Instance pricing is updated to April 2021 pricing
- Distributors can log in to licensing website, called Mothership
- Register a NMM Install
- View partner installs
- API for Distributors
- Register a NMM Install: /register
v1.0.0 (April 1, 2021)
- Cost Estimator updates -
- Print, export estimates.
- Improved navigation experience
- Reserved Instance pricing is updated to March 2021 pricing
- Global Images: maintain desktop images that you can use across multiple customer AVD environments (NMM accounts). [KB]
- Backups: Automated and manual backups of VMs, Azure file shares and AVD session hosts. [KB].
- VNet management: Manage VNets, their subnets, peerings and more.
- Internal use license (IUL): Ability to flag an account for internal use. Partners will be able to flag one account as IUL and get up to 10 free desktop users in that one account. They will be able to switch which account is IUL any time they want. [KB].
- Chart of desktop user count over past 30 days on Home page of a NMM account.
- Bug fixes
- Fixed an issue where tooltips could show, disappear and show again repeatedly
- Don't allow user to repeatedly cancel tasks
- Updated messaging and instructions for viewing Azure Monitor Insight information in Azure portal
- Fixed minor typos and improved messaging in various pop-ups and logs
- Network information was repeating on Home page of NMM accounts
v0.7.0 (March 17, 2021)
- Cost Estimator updates - Save, retrieve and edit estimates.
- User roles - new end-user role to manage desktops. [video]
- Monitoring - Azure Monitor for AVD, aka Insights, is available now! [video - part 1]
- New installs of NMM will have monitoring enabled for Host Pools by default.
- Existing installs of NMM (pre-0.7.0) will need to enable Monitoring for their Host Pools
- Bug fixes
- Minor adjustment to order of user roles displayed in Users & Roles screen's dropdowns.
- Fixed bug that may occur when adding a new Group of type Security group.
- Fixed an issue that may occur during the process of creating a server VM.
- Install GPU drivers during re-image.
v0.6.0 (March 6, 2021)
- Cost Estimator updates
- Support for pricing out multiple host pools.
- User roles - new user roles to grant limited access to NMM to others in your organization, such as the sales team or finance team for billing purposes.
- Consumption reporting - Building on the usage tracking that was released in the previous version, the system will now report consumption information to our licensing servers.
- Current desktop users: how many users have been assigned a AVD desktop or RemoteApp.
- Average desktop users: average number of desktop users assigned to a AVD desktop or RemoteApp over the past 30 days.
- Bug fixes
- Minor adjustments in messaging, navigation and bug fixes for Users and Groups screens.
v0.5.4 (February 25, 2021)
- Cost Estimator updates
- Similar to the Servers module, VM sizes will be retrieved via Graph API using MSP's context.
- New "Reset to default" button to clear out current selections and reset the cost estimator.
- Display Azure region on results page.
- Disable Azure region from Region selection dropdown if prices are not available for the region.
- Allow MSP to factor in NMM hosting costs.
- MSP Admin and Account Admin roles - delegate access to MSP's users (MSP Admin) or customer's users (Account Admin) and specify which accounts are accessible. [video - Users and Roles]
- Limit duration of access - Specify how long a user can have access to your NMM install: 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days and no expiration. [video - Users and Roles]
- Track usage information - The system will now capture and report consumption information. This information is be available to MSPs on the Accounts page. Future releases will display this information to customers and use this information for billing.
- Current desktop users: how many users have been assigned a AVD desktop.
- Highest concurrent users: how many users have logged in to their AVD desktop at a time.
- Monthly active users: how many unique users have logged in to their AVD desktop over the last 30 days.
- Bug fixes
- Adjusted messaging to indicate it takes longer to generate RDP file for a server if public IP is not assigned to server.
- When generating RDP file for a server and NSG is assigned to subnet in addition to the network interface, system will now add a rule to both NSGs to make the VM available.
- Minor adjustments in messaging, navigation and bug fixes for Users and Groups screens.
v0.5.3 (February 17, 2021)
- Bulk host pool actions - Perform any action on all hosts in a host pool with user notification and while controlling the concurrency of the operation. [Video]
- Resize all host VMs and OS disks
- Re-image all hosts in a host pool
- Restart all hosts
- Power on all hosts
- Power off all hosts
- Set drain mode on all hosts
- Delete all hosts
- Send message to all users logged into a host pool
- Disconnect all user sessions in a host pool
- Log off all user sessions in a host pool
- Schedule bulk host pool actions - create an automated schedule for host pool actions. Restart, power on/off, or re-image all hosts once or on a recurring schedule (e.g. nightly).
- Cost Estimator enhancements
- Costs from multiple Azure regions
- Optionally include costs of Azure AD DS
- Optionally include costs of Nerdio Manager PaaS services
- 16TB data disk option
- Match software license count to number of desktops, by default
- Additional user info - specify additional contact info when adding or editing Users.
- Minor UI enhancements on Servers page
- Bug fixes
- Prevent unlinking of RGs and networks that contain managed resources
- Fixed issue with loading Servers page when VMs have unmanaged disks
v0.5.2 (Release date: Feb 8, 2021)
- Role assignment - add users and groups from MSP Azure AD tenant to Nerdio Manager as "Super admin" (additional roles coming soon) to allow others in the organization to access Nerdio Manager. Accessed via USERS AND ROLES page at the MSP level of NMM. Video Link
- Invite external guest users - invite external users with "Super admin" role (additional roles coming soon) to co-manage the NMM environment. Accessed via USERS AND ROLES page at the MSP level of NMM. Video Link
- Server VM auto-scale - configure during and outside work hours configuration for individual server VMs and NMM will automatically adjust the VM size or shut it down. Video Link
- UI Enhancements
- New USERS page filters Video Link
- Added tooltip when User login is disabled
- New SERVERS page filters Video Link
- Resolved Add account screen "Error occurred. Try to reload page." error that results from user having access to some subscriptions with "unknown" status. These subscriptions are now skipped and not listed.
- Resolved UI bug with OS Disk list
- Resolved several Cost Estimator UI bugs
- Resolve issue with checkbox on Delete session host pop-up
v0.5.1 (Released: February 1, 2021)
- Cost Estimator enhancements.
- Custom RDP properties with "All settings" added to Host Pool properties.
- Bulk Resize and Re-image of session hosts.
- "Show more information" button on Updates screen: Subscription ID, Subscription Name, App name and Resource group.
- Two new columns on Users screen: Azure AD role and Microsoft 365 license(s) assigned to user.
- Resolved Add account screen "Error occurred. Try to reload page."
- Resolved error that occurred while adding a new account when user had access to subscriptions without global admin access.
- Various improvements to Users screen, for example system will now display username if email address is missing.
- Addressed an issue where a new host pool is created but one of the VMs isn't associated with the host registration.
v0.5.0 (Released: 1/27/2021)
- Public preview release.