Applies to: Nerdio for Azure (NFA) Enterprise
Nerdio helps you build virtual desktop and virtual application deployments to meet your dynamic business needs. If you are a NFA Enterprise customer, you will be assigned a virtual desktop at the time of provisioning your account. Nerdio desktops are built off a "golden desktop" image. Any time a new desktop is spun up, it is a copy of the golden desktop image at that point in time. The golden desktop image is named XXXX-WS00, where XXXX is your four-digit Account ID. Let us understand the process of creating virtual desktops in Nerdio.
To create Windows 10 VDI desktops
- Login to Nerdio Admin Portal (NAP) as an IT admin.
- On the accounts page, scroll down and click "Add NFA Account" button:
- On the “Create NFA Account” screen, expand the "Advanced options" menu:
- Under advanced options, there is a radio button called “GOLDEN IMAGE” which gives you an option to choose either a:
- Windows 10 Experience (Server 2016) or
- Windows 10 Enterprise (Windows 10 Enterprise subscription) configuration. If you select "Windows 10 Enterprise" option, then the golden image for the VDI desktops in your account will be a Windows 10 Enterprise image instead of Windows Server 2016. Any users that are assigned a VDI desktop will have a Windows 10 Enterprise OS desktop.
How to check the configuration of your Golden image?
You can check if the Golden Image is a "Windows 10" or "Windows Server 2016" by navigating to the Servers module in Nerdio Admin Portal (NAP). The “Manage VDI Golden Desktop Image” will display the configuration (say “Windows 10”):
If your accounts have a "Windows Server 2016" based golden image, you can easily switch to a "Windows 10" image with the click of a button:
Note: Switching golden image to "Windows 10 Enterprise" does not change any existing VDI desktops. Only new desktops going forward will be "Windows 10 Enterprise".
- NFA Professional and Core accounts do not support VDI desktops.