Applies to: All Nerdio Private Cloud (NPC) and Nerdio for Azure (NFA) Managed Service Partners (MSPs)
Nerdio Admin Portal (NAP) generates and maintains an audit trail of various operations such as new user sign up or account creation, audit logs for access, configuration changes, billing events, network activity, system events and user actions, in the form of logs. These logs help you to :
- gain important insights into standard Nerdio functions
- proactively schedule system maintenance activities
- avert security breaches
Let us first look at how to navigate to the "Logs" module in NAP.
To navigate to the "Logs" module in NAP
Log into Nerdio Admin Portal (NAP) as a "Partner admin" and go to the Logs option from the main menu as shown below:
The NAP "Logs" module is divided into three sections:
- Provisioning tasks
- Management tasks
- Desktop logins
Let us explore them one by one.
1. Provisioning tasks: These include logs for tasks such new account or user creation or provisioning, change in account or server storage configuration and so on. Generally, when you first provision an account(NPC/NFA), NAP takes about two hours to spin up the account and carries out a eighteen automated tasks in the background:
- Private network
- Virtual Firewall
- Gateway antivirus
- Intrusion prevention
- SSLVPN portal
- Dedicated SAN volume
- AD domain controller
- Active directory
- AD federation services
- File server
- Application server
- RDS host
- Golden desktop image
- VMware view connection manager
- Desktop pool
- VMware view security gateway
- Public DNS
You can track the status of various provisioning tasks through this screen. You can search the tasks by account id, name or job as shown below:
Currently there are no records to show.
2. Management tasks: These include logs related to user activities or file generation activities and so on. You can view/track user activities or tasks which have succeeded or failed, through these logs. You can search the tasks by account id, user, description, category or date as shown below:
By defaut, NAP shows all tasks from last 24 hours. If you wish to see older tasks, you need to specify a date range.
Through the "Management tasks" section, you can view the "automated tasks" in NAP. Click the "Settings" icon (located at the top right corner) to view the settings for "automated tasks". By default, the option is turned off as shown below:
Click the Settings icon and move the slider to the "left" to enable "automated tasks" option as shown below:
3. Desktop logins: These include logs specific to user desktop logins. Using these logs you can keep track of user logins and desktop usage. You can search by username, description or date range. Please view the screen below for details:
Currently there are no records to show. By defaut, NAP shows all tasks from last 24 hours. If you wish to see older tasks, you need to specify a date range.
Automated tasks in NAP
In addition to the tasks you see by default in Logs, NAP executes many automated tasks, tasks which are not initiated by any user. These tasks are generated in the background, while the Nerdio system is running. NAP runs most of these tasks every three hours to automatically update user, groups, shared mailbox cached info. For example, when you click “Refresh” icon on "Users screen", an automated task runs in the background. NAP also runs some audit checks to make sure the user count, SAN storage and vRAM usage are in line with the account’s subscription.