Applies to: Nerdio Private Cloud (NPC) desktops and Nerdio For Azure (NFA) VDI/personal desktops. Does not apply to NFA RDS/pooled desktops.
The golden desktop image is a VM template. When a new desktop is created, it is an exact copy of the golden image. This allows you as an IT admin to stamp out standardized desktops very easily. Over time you may realize you need to make changes to the golden image so that going forward the new desktops will have those changes included.
- Log in to Nerdio Admin Portal as Account Admin or Account IT Admin.
- On the main menu, click "Servers":
- Scroll down to the section titled "Mange Golden Desktop Image":
- You will see one item listed. Make sure the golden image has the state "Powered off".
- Click the "Start" button to "Power on to edit". You will be asked to confirm your action:
- Once you confirm, NAP will initiate the action. You can monitor the progress in the "Tasks" section:
- Once the golden image is powered on, the state will change to "Powered on":
- You can now remote desktop to the golden image just like any other desktop. For NPC customers, you can RDP into the Golden Image (WS00) from another machine inside the Nerdio environment. For NFA customers, you can generate an RDP file from the NAP. Make changes to the desktop and log out of the desktop. Do not shut down the desktop.
- Finally, back in NAP, click the button "Power off to set as golden". Make sure to click this button and not shut down the desktop.
- You will be asked to confirm the action you are taking. You can monitor the progress in the "Tasks" section. Make sure the golden desktop image changes state to "Powered off".
- New desktops can't be added while the golden desktop image is powered on. The golden desktop image must be in the "Powered off" state to be used as a VM template.